the won and only dodge dakota BACKGLASS

Discuss all aspects of windshield replacement, including techniques, billing, etc.
bot

the won and only dodge dakota BACKGLASS

Post by bot »

just wondering how people are removing the backglass on these trucks ..
sydfloyd44

Re: the won and only dodge dakota BACKGLASS

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Part of it can be cut with a Fein Knife. Very little though...

Sometimes if someone is in the bed pulling, you can cut more with the Fein, but don't count on it.

Our method of choice is NOT NICE!!!! Cover the interior real well. Use safety glasses and THICK leather gloves. (should be using them ALL the time anyway!!)

Just start yanking!!! Yes, RIP THE SUCKER OUT!!!!! Have found it better to just tape any glass that is not broken, break it and remove out of your way since it is going to break anyway!

MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT TEAR AND LEAVE YOU DOING AN OLYMPIC HIGH DIVE MANEUVER OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK!!!!! Been there, done that ONE time and I am a lot more cautious when doing this. (that hurt like you wouldn't believe but fortunately didn't require a hospital visit)

I know this sounds barbaric, but as you have found out, Dodge made the inside frame of the slider to cover the urethane to a point that it can't be cut.

Anyone else with ideas, we are more than happy to try. This was taught to us by a well known auto glass expert with about 30 years of experience. He told us about these sliders before the first one was even sold and we honestly didn't believe him. Low and behold, I curse when I even see one on the schedule!!
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

Try using the Lever Knife or a Cold Knife with a 3/4" UltraThin blade from the inside. With the Lever Knife you can adjust how far the blade is from the frame.
Make sure the tip of the blade does not scratch the vertical wall of the pinchweld on the outside. You may want to round the tip of the blade with a file.
Use an approved lubricant like water to assist in the cutting.
It's only easy if you think it's easy.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

sydfloyd44 wrote:Just start yanking!!! Yes, RIP THE SUCKER OUT!!!!!
I thought I was the only one doing it this way!!!!:eusa_doh:
Lee

Post by Lee »

We bought an Equalizer Ninja for these its an air powered cold knife. Works slick but you have to pull all uph including headliner on Dodges. Also good for GM factory sliders, you don't have to pull the headliner on these long knife works on top.
Just start yanking!!! Yes, RIP THE SUCKER OUT!!!!! Does the guy that recommended this method drag is knuckles on the ground when he walks?
bot

Post by bot »

i got to say i used the rip the sucker out method for awhile i have found with alot of slow trimming of the edge of the outside molding you can then use a offset 3/4 inch fein knife blade cut from the outside cut a small slit out of the left or right side to start we all know that you can get that with a long knife ..i have to say those offset blades they brake easy ..good input i can't seem to perfect the cold knife from the inside method thow
sydfloyd44

Post by sydfloyd44 »

Yes, I do drag my knuckles on the ground when I walk. It keeps them tender.

As far as removing the headliner. NOT....

To each his own.
AGSS

Post by AGSS »

Lee wrote: Just start yanking!!! Yes, RIP THE SUCKER OUT!!!!! Does the guy that recommended this method drag is knuckles on the ground when he walks?
Oh here it is, super installer!!!! :eusa_wall :eusa_wall :eusa_wall

how long have you been installing? pull the headliner????!! are you serious, or just out of some glass training school!

I have been installing for around 15 years, and do this same method of backglass removal on this truck. So what is the benefit of this type of removal? you do not damage the pinchweld or interior panel as with a fein knife. You do not spend half the day removing headliners and fingerprints off the headliner.

Youngsters :icon_roll
Lee

Post by Lee »

It's called being proud of your work. It's called being a craftsperson. Some of you out there might understand this and some of you are just in the business for a quick buck. If you can't do the job properly why bother? 15 years and still don't care? It takes 30 min to pull the interior of a Dodge pu. If you wash your hands you won't leave fingerprints on the headliner.
I started in 1962. I can do things you hacks can't imagine.
HACKS!!!!
streekyd

Post by streekyd »

Hey, AGSS, how long do spend vacuuming and cleaning up the little bits of glass that fly all over the place, and, are you wearing safety glasses so the little tiny particles don't get in your eys??:eusa_thin.

Lee thanks for your professionalism and integrity. I've been replacing since 1973 and have had the opportunity to attend the Carlite and PAG Schools. I have also sat through Essex, Sika, 3M and Dinol training presentations.
There is a right way and a wrong way.