What's the best polisher?

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

What's the best polisher?

Post by Brent Deines »

I was surprised that nearly everyone on this headlight restoration forum thought the Metabo was the best electric sander, and only one or two other brands were even mentioned, so but I am curious as to what you guys are using to polish the headlights, and which polisher you feel is the best. I think a Jepson polisher was mentioned in one of the other threads, but I haven't tried it myself.

I've tried a lot of headlight restoration products in my search for excellence, but unfortunately have not had the opportunity to try many different power tools for sanding and polishing.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
Bois

Re: What's the best polisher?

Post by Bois »

I use the 3" HL Power Buffer that Dvelup offered back in '06. It's variable speed but a bit heavy. I'd like to find a 3" that's lighter.
Dale...
No job is so simple that it cannot be done wrong.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

GlassStarz, in another thread you mentioned that you use a cordless tool for polishing headlights. I was under the impression that the cordless tools just wouldn't cut it. Can you give me any more information on what you use and how you like it compared to other tools you have used?
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I use the craftmen 19.2v I have in the box for my paint system I use the 3m hook it system and buy the discs 600 grit and 1200 grit I use the Headlight Doctor system apply the 1st liquid with the sanding (600)after a couple minutes 90% are where they need to be Then i switch to the 1200 when done I do a light hand sanding apply the 2nd fluid wipe off then put on the topcoat average 10 per car start to finish I have been useing the same cordless drill for 3 years only downside to the craftsman is 1 hr rechsrge but I have 6 batteries in the box so no biggy. For me it didnt make sence to buy a special tool when I already had one in the box that does a great job Here in Fresno it gets to 110 deg and stays there for weeks at a time have seen some pretty nasty lights havnt found any I couldnt do in 10-15 minutes I have a customer in Vermont that I do 10 - 15 sets at a time every other month never there more than 3 hrs(I have given my son the Vermont portion of the buisness I think I am staying here)
mhughe29

Post by mhughe29 »

GlassStarz;30156 wrote:I use the craftmen 19.2v I have in the box for my paint system I use the 3m hook it system and buy the discs 600 grit and 1200 grit I use the Headlight Doctor system apply the 1st liquid with the sanding (600)after a couple minutes 90% are where they need to be Then i switch to the 1200 when done I do a light hand sanding apply the 2nd fluid wipe off then put on the topcoat average 10 per car start to finish I have been useing the same cordless drill for 3 years only downside to the craftsman is 1 hr rechsrge but I have 6 batteries in the box so no biggy. For me it didnt make sence to buy a special tool when I already had one in the box that does a great job Here in Fresno it gets to 110 deg and stays there for weeks at a time have seen some pretty nasty lights havnt found any I couldnt do in 10-15 minutes I have a customer in Vermont that I do 10 - 15 sets at a time every other month never there more than 3 hrs(I have given my son the Vermont portion of the buisness I think I am staying here)
Do you add an orbital adapter or is it basically a drill with sanding pad on the end of it?
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

3M Hook-It system is a adapter that hold 3" foam pads or sanding discs
mhughe29

Post by mhughe29 »

I am very familiar with the Hook It II system but not with the tool you are using.

I am going to assume that you are basically using a drill with sanding disc and you have no orbital action only a spinning action.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

craftsman 19.2 cordless drill it has 2 speeds and a second handle so you can hang onto it with both hands with the system I use all you need is to sand the damage off