Wal-Mart doing headlights

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
CV Windshield Repair
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Wal-Mart doing headlights

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

Is anyone aware of Wal-Mart getting into the headlights restoration in their area? I went to one of super centers the other day and as I was going into the tire center noticed a sign that advertised headlights restored there. When I inquired about what they charged the sales person behind the counter told me that the cost was $39.99 for both lenses. When I asked how long it took the response was from 5 to 10 minutes. I believe this is a new service that Wal-Mart is attempting in our area. Does anyone know if this service is being offered by them in their area and how sucessful they are with it? If they are trying to do lenses in 5 or 10 minutes I don't see them offering this service for very long.
Frank EU

Re: Wal-Mart doing headlights

Post by Frank EU »

Hi CV, you're from North Texas. What is the location of the store? Is this going to be offered nationwide or is it just a local add-on, or is it a pilot?
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I used to have my oil changes at Wal-Mart but either the filter or the drain plug leaked after each oil change. For awhile I just tightened everything up myself, but after awhile I got annoyed and payed the service manager a visit. That is when I was told that the leak was do to the cheap Wal-Mart oil that they used being more "slippery" than name brand oils, so if I opted for the premium oil change at about twice the price I would not have any more leaks. Needless to say I never went back.

It would be interesting to watch them do a 5-10 minute headlight restoration. I have seen a few "systems" that consisted of wiping the lenses with a solvent/cleaner, then coating with a clear sealer. I'm guessing something similar is being used here, and that the results are less than professional quality.

If that is the case I hope it doesn't give the industry a bad reputation.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
CV Windshield Repair

Post by CV Windshield Repair »

This Wal-Mart is located in Amarillo, Texas we have 4 super centers in the city. As far as the other Wal-Marts offering this service in town I don't know. I wonder how many lenses they will turn down because the damage is too severe, it seems that the majority of people that are interersted in restoring their headlights have significant damage.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

If there service is anything like Pep Boys headlight restore. Don't worry about it.. I saw what Pep Boys did for there demo light display and I could not even see the light bulb in the bucket. They painted right over the old crap.... and I could feel the paint brush strokes...

What a joke.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I think its more like the 5-10 minutes to repair a windshield tell em the short time to get em to spend the time and yes it does take 5-10 minutes for some breaks but we all know many take longer. I have gottn pretty fast on the headlights and many dont take anymore than 10 minutes per pair I ahve noticed when its hot (103 today) they go really fast the softer plastic sands well in about 1/3 the time
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

We called the local Wal-Mart and were told that they don't do headlight restoration yet, but they will be offering it soon.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

GlassStarz
Are you using the develp style restoring or you have another way of doing it?
I am using the mix Ben made up and ether by hand sanding or the metebo on the bigger jobs?

I have ran across a lot of Toyota's that have just a light film on and just need a good buffing to get the oxidation off. I have a Lexus to do on Sat. morning, that may be all it is.
GlassStarz

Post by GlassStarz »

I sand with my cordless and 3m hook it using a lube then wipe with a thinner 3rd step apply bens 50 50 mix
gt_repair

Post by gt_repair »

I have been dry sanding with the 3" orbital but I may go back to wet sanding with the orbital like hand sanding. See if that will cut time down more.

When you say lube, are you using water or Bens yellow 50/50?