Metabo

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Metabo

Post by candyman »

I got my new Metabo stripper on Friday. I tried it Sunday an it appears to work faster with less drag than the orange buffer. I can't tell any difference in the handling of the tool while working with it. Both are easy to manuver and control. The customer was satisfied with the results and I was also. I was debating as to wheather I needed to buff the HL with polish after using the last sanding pad. I followed the instructions and polished the HL then applied my UV coating. It looked really good. I decided to keep my orange stripper as a backup. Ive done about 12 HL's in the past few weeks and I seem to learn something from each HL I restore. The end results speaks volumes for the quality of the products purchased from Delta Kits. I also repaired a bullseye on a F150 and It turned out very nice. I didn't drill, but I did use the evaporator I just purchased to get the resin to flow into the little cracks around the break. The windshield was wet from morning dew and I thought it would also help with drying it out after I wiped the WS down. I read the instructions but I never did see the orange glow. It did get hot, but not enough to burn my finger when I touched it. I recharged my btry pack and I will test it today to see if I can get it to heat up more.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: Metabo

Post by t4k »

If it didn't get hot enough to burn your finger, I doubt you dried out the w/s chip. The whole idea behind the evaporator is to boil out the moisture.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

If you still don't see the orange glow after the battery is charged try it in your car cigarette lighter receptacle. If you still don't see an orange glow give us a call. t4k is right; if you don't get it that hot it will not evaporate the moisture properly. Something is not working right.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
candyman
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by candyman »

DONT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE COIL OF AN EVAPORATOR!!!!! I charged my Btry pack. Today I plugged that thing in while sitting at my desk. I touch the center coil immediatelt after I pressed the ON button. I burnt the heck out of my finger tip, just that quick. That thing was a bright orange after a few seconds. I evidently had enough power in my Btry pack to work the UV but not enough for the evaporator. When I plugged my Btry Pack up to charge The red light came on for a few seconds then the green light flashed for a few seconds. then stayed green. I thought mayby the Btry was good, and it was the evaporator, but I left it charging for an hour to to be sure. Now I Know! I couldn't get my vehicle close enough to plug in to my lighter, and the driver had a customer (Funeral Home) and I couldn't get his keys to try his lighter. I tried his spare sockets but they didn't work without the switch on. I dont know why I didn't try my lighter to make sure it was working. I honestly didn't think that thing would use that much power. I had charged my Btry charger up a few weeks ago and only used it a few times for the small UV light. I better start charging it more often. Question? Does the Btry run down when left in the vehicle when the Daily temp is above 80 degrees? I know cold weather will drain a btry, but I always thought heat kept them charged. Sorry Guys. Still learning.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

I'm glad you didn't use your tongue to see if it was hot. :lol: I guess I should not poke too much fun at you since I have done the same thing. Someone returned a moisture evaporator and said it did not get hot so what did I do, you guessed it, burnt the snot out of the palm of my hand.

Batteries will lose a charge faster when it is cold, but they will lose a charge slowly in any weather condition. I recommend charging your battery every night. In fact, I just keep my charger on my battery whenever I am not using it. The newer chargers we use never over charge.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.