1 step HR?? Is it a scam??

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
FrogKnowledge

1 step HR?? Is it a scam??

Post by FrogKnowledge »

I work windshield repairs and have three guys working for me now, I just picked up my first tent and was sitting their thinking I need to add some extras to this stand to get more business.

Then across the street I saw a guy doing HR it took him about 10 minutes to do both headlights squeezed some magic past on and buffed off with a 6" pad and that was it. I knew this was BS from what I have researched.

So I called him over when he was done to ask about his system. He said of course he invented the formula and worked on in for 15 years charges $20 per set.

So I checked out the restoration he just finished and it looked better I guess nothing like what I see on here, but is this possible to just polish the headlight in 1 step??
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Re: 1 step HR?? Is it a scam??

Post by Brent Deines »

Of course it is possible. A good plastic polish will make headlight lenses look considerably better, and someone who has never seen how good they can look when sanded, polished, and coated with a good UV coat, may actually be quite impressed. That service may even be worth $20 to some people, but the question is, did the headlights come out as good as they could? Another question is how long will they look that way?

We've tried over a dozen different headlight restoration systems, and frankly some of them were no better than a good cleaner followed by a good plastic polish. Others actually look pretty good from a distance but up close still show scratches or a cloudy look. It's when you start comparing side by side that you really see a difference, but I know where you are coming from. If you are on one side of the road charging $100 for headlight restoration and the guy on the other side is charging $20 for headlight restoration, who is going to get the most customers? Actually I don't think the answer is as simple as you might think. It's very easy to show the quality of your work as a headlight restoration technician, and if I were to see two people offering the same service, but the price was drastically different, I would check them both out to find out why. If you show me a headlight you have done and the guy on the other side of the road shows me one he has done I will go to the one who has the best looking sample. Some people may decide the lesser price is worth the lesser quality, but we really have not seen that happen a lot in our own shop.

To go one step further we always do 1/2 a headlight so the customer can see how bad it was to start with, and in some cases we do 3 sections so we can show the difference between service and the competitor's service. Of course the guy across the road can do the same thing and could even use my product for his display if he wants to deceive the customer, but when he does his 10 minute one step job there is no way he is going to produce the same results, whereas I can deliver as promised time and time again. Just be sure if you do a comparison with a competitor's product that what you show the customer is what your competitor actually delivers. Resist the temptation to make the section done with their product look bad. If you can't legitimately show that your product works better, don't do the comparison. You will just end up looking foolish.

Your competitor's advertising is a problem for sure, but one that you can often use to your advantage. Your biggest concern is if he is doing a better job than you, in which case you will be the one with the disappointed customers and the small profit per job. Quality always wins out in my opinion.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
t4k
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by t4k »

FrogKnowledge wrote:I work windshield repairs and have three guys working for me now, I just picked up my first tent and was sitting their thinking I need to add some extras to this stand to get more business.

Then across the street I saw a guy doing HR it took him about 10 minutes to do both headlights squeezed some magic past on and buffed off with a 6" pad and that was it. I knew this was BS from what I have researched.

So I called him over when he was done to ask about his system. He said of course he invented the formula and worked on in for 15 years charges $20 per set.

So I checked out the restoration he just finished and it looked better I guess nothing like what I see on here, but is this possible to just polish the headlight in 1 step??

I've never seen a one step restoration work and I've been doing H/L restorations for over five years. You have to remove the damage prior to bringing the lens back to it's final appearance.
harrellbenjamin

Post by harrellbenjamin »

No better than any scuff and buff.....Its a poor excuse for a restoration and will not last.Its like filling a w/shield chip with WD40 lol......He said he invented it??? What he invented a plastic polish......??? He is running a scam .....DO it the right way and charge the right $$$$ for it.Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten. He could never come close to the results and longevity you will achieve by using a Delta or Dvelup kit.
scrubs147

Post by scrubs147 »

I just purchased the HR kit from Delta Kits. I have been doing HR for awhile now and have been putting the Meguiar’s plastic polish on for the finish. Just yesterday, after receiving the kit from Delta I did one headlight a polish for the finish and the other using the sealer that came with the Deltakit. I wasn’t amazed… I was shocked, and the customer was more than impressed.

WOW, is all I have to say with this kit - those headlights looked better than new and even the customer mentioned that as well. As long as there’re people out there doing HR for $20 with “so-so” results, the word should spread pretty fast about a result using Deltakits that is twice the look and warranty. These people who are spending $20 for just a polish are going to be disappointed in a couple of months when their headlights go back to the way they were real quick.
Dent-tastic

Post by Dent-tastic »

:roll: I had the same problem in my area. A "fly-by-night headlamp Cleaner" showed up on the main drag of town with a half cleaned headlight and a Cradboard sign "We clean headlights" wrote out in a black magicmarker. He went around to my dealers and proceded to toss his sales pitch around. After doing one set of lights for free as a demo the car lots tossed him to the curb and procedded to call me to come fix there mistake(letting him come there). :lol:

So now when they have a new shippment of cars come in, or i stop by they are johnyonthespot to call me to get them done, nice to see how a scam job can help promote work for someone who does a good quality restoration job. :lol:

So dont stoop down to doing a lesser quality job, do a good job and let him put hisself out of a job.