LOOKING FOR INTERNSHIP

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
ShawnWSR
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

LOOKING FOR INTERNSHIP

Post by ShawnWSR »

I was introduced to this business by a company I will leave unnamed when I moved here to Fresno. They had us doing horrible repairs that even I knew were horrible with my basic WSR knowledge. They also seem to be doing something wrong with the insurance companies that I cannot say for sure but from what I see it makes me uncomfortable.

However, the good side of this is that I was introduced to a business that I know will work perfectly for my sales ability and high desire for customer service. Ive always known that if I could get into a business where I could supply my own product it would be lucrative and satisfying.

I am looking for someone in California that is somewhere near Fresno to work for in an unpaid internship so that I can learn how to do high quality repairs. I am originally from a different area and would like to take this business back to my hometown. I could also use some advice on getting set up with the insurance companies, obtaining an Auto Repair Dealer License, Garage Keeper Insurance etc...

I do understand Delta has a great training program and tools that I will be utilizing as soon as my budget allows. However, at this time I believe that hands on experience with a honest WSR business owner would benefit me greatly. I am hoping that someone here would see this as a mutually beneficial endeavor and we can work something out.

Thanks,

Shawn
DryStar

Re: LOOKING FOR INTERNSHIP

Post by DryStar »

Shawn,

Are you kidding us? Who would ever offer local free training? I personally charge $200+ per day to train w/s repair and you want it free? Too funny! You want free...attend Delta training but it's not free when you consider travel and hotel expenses.

Good Luck to you!
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

Thanks for welcoming me to the forum! I didn't ask for free training. I am looking for an internship. That's where someone works for a business in exchange for training. Thanks
bill lambeth

Post by bill lambeth »

Shawn I would advise you go to in person training at which ever equip you decide to use.This forum will tell you a bunch of what you need but It cannot train you to be a good salesman.If you are not a people person and out going personality you will never make it.Anybody can learn to repair but the ones that have long jevity are the ones who can sale.You have to be a go getter.This business has it good side and some down side just like any business.Good Luck!
paulrsf

Post by paulrsf »

Hey ShawnWSR-

A couple of years ago I was looking for hands on training and I decided to attend Delta Kits' training in Eugene, OR. -Best business decision I ever made. The training is relaxed, friendly, informative and will give you the opportunity to learn how to make professional quality repairs. The training includes information on how to sign up with insurance networks, salesmanship, and a forum to ask questions, hear others ask questions, and learn from the pros. Sure you have to travel and make time for the training, but in my opinion it will leave you in a place that no videos or manual can. Once completed, you will have the basics. The rest can only come from experience.

Good luck!
Paul
Paul R.
DryStar

Post by DryStar »

Shawn,

It wasn't my intent to belittle what your trying to accomplish but after reading this sentence in your post (I am looking for someone in California that is somewhere near Fresno to work for in an unpaid internship so that I can learn how to do high quality repairs)...isn't that the same as your looking for free training? When I've trained others in the past and charged for my time it included everything from the basics to helping them set up fleet, insurance and used car accounts (but only outside my working area).

To be honest, I've never taken an non-employee intern to work with me on any of my accounts. To do so wouldn't make sense. Why would I want to train my future competitor?

Anyways, sorry if my post came across that way. Best of luck to you!
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

Its ok no problem. I also stated that Id be starting my business elsewhere so It wouldn't be a problem unless you plan on having a huge business covering multiple areas. As a business minded individual I'm always willing to make connections and enter into mutually beneficial propositions.

Thanks Paul for the Delta suggestion I can already tell from this forum that's great advice. They've contacted me and Ill be going through their training shortly. However I'm sure that making connections and having access to somone face to face to learn from and help wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Heck as lucrative as this business is I don't see how we all couldn't benefit from helping each other. Obviously each individual would expect something in it for them but I can already forsee a few different ways all our interests could be aligned.
ShawnWSR

Post by ShawnWSR »

I thank everyone for their advice. Ill be meeting with Delta here very soon. The sales side shouldnt be a problem for me as Im lucky enough to be gifted in that area. For the short time I worked with the company I mentioned I was able to get 6-10 repair sales a day at an avg of $60.00. I am very excited to have found this industry and cannot wait to see my results.

Again, I thank everyone for their advice and look forward to being an active participant on the forum.
mend master

Post by mend master »

Shawn,
For what its worth, I like your idea and your desire to get hands-on training in the "real" world. Nothing can substitute for experience and a good mentor can give you a much quicker launch on your business. Thorough training takes time and effort which reduces productivity. That is why most professionals charge for training. The lost time for your mentor equates to lost dollars and should be compensated for. Factory training is a good start and would be what I would recommend as well. You will get the basics down and a recieve an overview of the business which will make your internship proposition more attractive and percieved as less of a burden. Getting the proper training also communicates your committment to being a long term professional.
Coitster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Coitster »

Shawn,
I sent you a pm. I am in San Jose two hours from you.
Coitster