Learning fast about HLR

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Old Blue 66
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Learning fast about HLR

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I just started on this venture. So far Im busy and dealers are very receptive. I am in line with a test MB at a big chain today of new car dealers today. They really have the need and want to see what I can do with what they calla problem car. Its just an MB with white lens's.

My question is this. Im noticing that I need to carry little things with me that I didn't think of. Example: Compressed air. There is a lot of dust that gets caught in the cracks and blowing them out would be much faster than wiping them out with a towel. Did a Jeep Grand Cher yesterday and that would have come in handy.

What other tips or tools do you have/do that makes the job just a little bit easier?
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Re: Learning fast about HLR

Post by Old Blue 66 »

I just saw the other thread with tips. Some good stuff there. If you want to post here, feel free. Id love finding new tricks of the trait.
Paul Weinstein
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

Old Blue 66 wrote:I just started on this venture. So far Im busy and dealers are very receptive. I am in line with a test MB at a big chain today of new car dealers today. They really have the need and want to see what I can do with what they calla problem car. Its just an MB with white lens's.

My question is this. Im noticing that I need to carry little things with me that I didn't think of. Example: Compressed air. There is a lot of dust that gets caught in the cracks and blowing them out would be much faster than wiping them out with a towel. Did a Jeep Grand Cher yesterday and that would have come in handy.

What other tips or tools do you have/do that makes the job just a little bit easier?
Have you thought about wet sanding? No dust. Also, a good sanding lubricant will save disks or sandpaper.
ray6
pommy

Post by pommy »

Hi Old Blue!

Welcome to the HLR world ;)

I'm interested in what kit you're using?

Disc type, machine type and UV coating etc.

Cheers,

Pommy
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

Im using the Delta Infinity. Im using the exact prep work thats suggested for the best results. I only buy the Infinity from Delta but I buy the discs (same ones Delta sellls) from a local source as they are cheaper.
Paul Weinstein
pommy

Post by pommy »

Ok cool.

The Delta method can be pretty dusty... I use a thin fitted bed sheet, bonnet open and under each wiper via the gap of the bonnet, then cover the engine. Saves lots of clean up time ;)

Cheers,

Pommy.
If the job doesn't mean more than the pay, it will never pay more.
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

ray6 wrote:
Old Blue 66 wrote:I just started on this venture. So far Im busy and dealers are very receptive. I am in line with a test MB at a big chain today of new car dealers today. They really have the need and want to see what I can do with what they calla problem car. Its just an MB with white lens's.

Have you thought about wet sanding? No dust. Also, a good sanding lubricant will save disks or sandpaper.
ray6
Are you talking about water? If your not kidding, and Im gullible, does wet sanding extend the life of the disc??
Paul Weinstein
Old Blue 66

Post by Old Blue 66 »

pommy wrote:Ok cool.

The Delta method can be pretty dusty... I use a thin fitted bed sheet, bonnet open and under each wiper via the gap of the bonnet, then cover the engine. Saves lots of clean up time ;)

Cheers,

Pommy.
I use a heavy moving blanket and just rest it over the motor. Works ok.
Paul Weinstein
candyman

Post by candyman »

You can use a piece of clear plastic, blue tarp or a large beach towel to cover the engine. I dry sand, but i spray the lens with water and wipe down. I've done over 300 HLRs and it only takes me a few minutes to wipe a car down after I finish sanding. I raely use anything to cover the engine. It depends on the vehicle and how well the owner has taken care of the vehicle. After I finish with the 3000 polishing pad, I remove all the tape and wipe the car down. I use prep spray to clean the lens , wipe dry. Then I apply the UV coating. Iam done with the vehicle and I tell the customer not to touch for 4 hours or wash for 24 hours.
ray6
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by ray6 »

Old Blue 66 wrote:
ray6 wrote:

ray6
Are you talking about water? If your not kidding, and Im gullible, does wet sanding extend the life of the disc??
A sanding lubricant does a number of things:
1. Lowers friction of sanding disk.
2. Operates cooler.
3. Has surfactants to cause removed particles to rise to the surface.
4. Eliminates dry dust.

It should contain lubricants, surfactants, foaming agents, etc.
A brand I have had good results is Speedokote spray on. I think less than $5 per can. Lasts forever because you use so little. This is water based. For solvent based protective coatings, we use a solvent/oil based lubricant so no water is used through the entire restoration process.
ray6