\"succuessful\" advertising

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

re: wrong?

Post by Anonymous »

OKay all,
I'm extremely cautious about making adverstising blunders, I guess we all are. In the past I havent sought more than just cold calling on dealers & fleets. But as I seek more private insurance jobs in a metro area, I'm wondering the following- what kind of success have you all had with:
1) yellow pages

2)classified news paper ads [i.e. local paper vs. thrifty nickel display ad]

3)car wash lot w/ banner

4)vehicle vinyl decals

I've tried a few of these things, but not too much. I'm sure it's a bit different for everyone, but I'm curious of trends.
Thanks!
Anonymous

"succuessful" advertising

Post by Anonymous »

I tried the yellow pages for a year, (5 different books). And the results, basically sucked. Price shoppers.. As for the penny shopper ads, most people skim thru, so if you place an ad start it with "FREE WINDSHIELD REPAIR".. Free is always an attention getter. Vinyl lettering, magnetic signs on your vehicle is the MOST lucrative advertising you can do. (A): You are mobile, seen by thousands on a dailey basis, in their area's.
(B): Supply and demand.. You are there, they see you, they approach you, you make the money.
Another form I tried was the carwashes. I actually paid $500 a year to hang a sign 24"x24" in the tunnel, ez to read by everyone who watched their car/truck come thru. Results.. I think all in toll I received 7 jobs.. Didn't pay off, but the exposure was good. My favorite form of advertising is o he PUBLIC Community Television. Here north of Philly, they run an auto showcase 3 times a day for an hour per run. My cost is $60 per month for (4) 15 second spots between advertised autos during the hour. So, its 3 minutes of advertising per day. And it pays for itself at least double every month, plus its EXPOSURE to the public eye.. I don't do cafe placemats or mailers as I don't shop that way and I can't imagine anyone else unless it was a pure impulse move doing it either.. And then, the ad would have to be written in such a fantastic way, it would sell to a person without a car.. Stick to the basics, biz cards are cheap, and work excellant.. Word of mouth is your best or worst friend.. Do great work and the person you did it for will tell 3 people, do lousy work, and that same person will tell ten people..
Anonymous

re: advertising

Post by Anonymous »

I am in the boonies. Conventional advertising media (radio-TV) are not available to us locally. I have used direct mail here, though. In the past I have produced a mailer and sent direct mail letters. Both worked very well for me. Last year I produced a local business directory and am in the process of publishing the second edition -- due out July 1st. This works because of our location and the fact that our "local"(?) phone book includes most of the tiny towns in a 75-mi (as the crow flies-real distance varies according to which mountain is in the way) semi-circle from us, but only 2 prefix numbers are local calls for the residents of the valley in which I live. My directory focuses on the local community. With only a couple of exceptions, the businesses listed are locally owned, and most of the owners also live in the area. The directory is mailed to all the postal patrons in the valley, with the entire cost being paid for by other businesses that purchase display ads in the directory. I do also advertise in the local newspaper and brochure racks in the valley and on local bulletin boards. Having my truck professionally lettered was some of the best money I ever spent. I did have magnetic signs, but one day I went to the city and while I was there they disappeared (prankster or mean-spirited competitor? .... dont know which). They were getting old and I was planning to replace them anyway.. so I did the lettering instead. Surprisingly, the lettering was not much more than the new signs would have been.
Anonymous

re: advertising

Post by Anonymous »

Also, we purchased a small, pre-owned motor home 5 years ago, and that also has signage on both sides and the back ... a giant rolling billboard actually. One of the local restaurants is producing new menus right now with a center page devoted to local advertising. I decided to take an ad because the locals eat there on a regular basis, and the ad is affordable... just one job will pay for it. Traditionally, this restaurant renews its menus every 2 years, so I figure I have nothing to lose! I dont do "throw-aways" like placemats or paper napkins, though. The local high school calls every year soliciting for border ads for the sports schedule posters, but I dont do that either. I dont know where those posters go, but I have yet to see one in a public place. Those ads are very pricey too, partly because the school has a marketing outfit do them up, even though the school has its own facility where they could produce them ... (and I think they should do them as a class project ... the kids could learn a bundle about marketing, graphic design and production... but they didnt ask for my opinion... sigh).