Windshield repair training

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

Re: Plexiglass

Post by Anonymous »

I wanted to know if I can receive training manuals, and training videos, without buying the manufactures kits. All I want is a way to train in my garage. I do have a stand an the recycled windshields to practice on. I have a kit I can use to learn with before I go out and purchase a brand new one for myself. Any help is appreciated. .

Windshield repair training

Post by Guest »

Terry,

Welcome to the forums!

I believe most manufacturers will sell you their instructional videos and manuals. Make sure to get one that is as close as possible to the system that you are using.

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
[email]"jhiggins@deltakits.com"[/email]
www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: Windshield repair training

Post by Anonymous »

To make a repair do you have to drill, or can you do a repair drilling.
Anonymous

I forgot to ask

Post by Anonymous »

What I`m asking is do you have to drill to make repairs. Or can you do it without.
Anonymous

should have proof read my post

Post by Anonymous »

Terry,
Depending on whom you ask, the answer is "yes", "no", "maybe" or "sometimes". It depends in large part on the type of damage. Some breaks need to be drilled because they are sub-surface. In order to introduce resin and perform a good repair, it is necessary to drill. You will find some breaks where the impact site has a lot of debris or crushed glass, and this should be removed either by scraping with your pick or drilling. I prefer to use the 'pecking' method of drilling for damage like this. With the drill on low, touch the glass and back off. Repeat this until the area is clear, then blow the glass particles away with canned air. (This is very similar to the way your dentist works on a cavity to prepare it to be filled). Occasionally, you will have a break with a legs that dont fill and you may find that drilling and popping a mini-bulls-eye will connect these legs to the injection site and then they will fill.
As you practice and become more familiar, comfortable and confident with the various repairs, you will develop an instinct for when drilling is necessary and when it isnt. No two breaks are exactly alike. Be patient, and practice, practice,practice.

You asked about training manuals. Many of the companies will sell just the manual. Also contact suppliers and request everything they will send you free. They all have a lot of good information to share.
Anonymous

re: to drill or not to drill, that is the question...

Post by Anonymous »

Just wanted to say thanks an I will be Contacting a few manufacturers to see about purchasing the manuals or video`s. Thanks again
Anonymous

Thank you all

Post by Anonymous »

terry... just a reminder as what gold star said.... talk to everybody you can that has experience in windshield repair , ask about their system, pick their brain about how it works,, thats important for you to decide which system to buy cause there are several good systems out there, and junkie one's too.......
Anonymous

windshield repair systems

Post by Anonymous »

hi Teri,my name is Paul and i am also getting ready to start a windshield repair biz. SOME ADVISE. I HAVE BEEN CHECKING OUT EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIERS ALONG WITH THERE TRAINING PROGRAMS. I HAVE SPENT NIGHT AFTER NIGHT ON THE COMPUTER LOOKING AND READING ABOUT VARIOUS KITS.

CHECK OUT U.S.WINDSHIELDREPAIR.COM THE SITE IS AWESOME!! I CALLED AND SPOKE WITH THE OWNER AND IT SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD. (SOORY DELTA, ITS JUST AN OPINION)

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK.
Anonymous

Re: windshield repair systems TERI

Post by Anonymous »

SORRY . TERRY! NOT TERI
Anonymous

Re: windshield repair systems TERI

Post by Anonymous »

I called and talked to bill and found it to be very expensive for his kit plus training package. Also that package with training wasn`t even a certification class at that price. Nice person though. Thanks I`ll keep looking.