Ooopps...

Posts from Old Forum (Pre August 2003)
Anonymous

re: fas break

Post by Anonymous »

I was attempting repair on a rather large truck this past weekend and finally realized that chips really can take off into long cracks. Good thing I have a waiver! Anyways, what is the best way to deal with this customer? I tried to fix it as a long crack and the customer was very friendly about this situation.
Thanks for the input.

Chris~
WiseCrack Windshields
Anonymous

Ooopps...

Post by Anonymous »

Hi WiseCrack. This same thing happened to my ws last year - when I first became interested in this business. The tech who was repairing it had a policy that if the chip extended greatly then the entire repair was free. (He claimed that it had happened to him only a handful of times.) I paid him half the cost anyway.

Knowing what I know now I don't think that he should have drilled into the chip - as this is when it extended. I believe that being upfront in the possibilities with the customer, and underselling the repair, are important for these reasons. That way they are still pleased with the service once they have given you the okay to repair. After all, the chip may certainly have extended into a crack without the repair process - just a matter of time.

On a side note the tech who repaired my ws drilled the end of the crack yet didn't create a bullseye. The crack eventually went under it and continued as a result. It hasn't spread too far though and one of these days, if it looks like it's still spreading, I'll just repair it myself

Good point about the importance of a waiver by the way.
Anonymous

Re: Ooopps...

Post by Anonymous »

I just read the post, twice.. i can't believe what I am reading. Waivers... signed by the customer exempting you from what? Accidents do happen on occaision. In 7 years of doing repairs, I think I have had 3 shots crack out and run on me. But, to say, "I'm not a fault, you are on your own". Is riddiculous. Safelite uses waivers. Why.. Because you could train a crippled monkey to do better quality repairs than Safelite, and because Safelite is in the REPLACEMENT business. They really don't care if the repair looks like crap or cracks all the way across. I am a professional, I stand behind my work. The 3 that did run on me was due to my haste, inproper cooling. I did the repair on both shot and crack, charged for the shot, collected my money, gave customer warranty, and was off to my next job. BTW, 2 of those customers have had me back to do new repairs on the same vehicles. I cannot accept the fact that you are so insecure in your own work, that you must have a waiver signed. Maybe, I'm not seeing the entire picture. But, I know the difference between my work and Safelites, and I'll put money on the fact that less than 1 out of a hundred repairs I do are'nt satisfied customers.

re: oops

Post by Guest »

Glassdoc-

I think the waiver that WiseCrackWR is talking about (correct me if i'm wrong wisecrack) is a waiver that states that they are not responsible for replacing the windshield if the windshield should happen to crack during the repair process.

Jeff Higgins
Delta Kits, Inc.
[email]"jhiggins@deltakits.com"[/email]
www.deltakits.com
Anonymous

Re: Ooopps...

Post by Anonymous »

Well, I guess that would make sense, in a way to some. I personally after actually seeing the damage to be repaired assess my liabilities. If I deem the damage repairable, I repair. If not, I will advise customer that I think it should be replaced, but give the customer the option of repairing or replacing. Should the customer insist on a repair, (and as long as its not in the critical area for State Inspection).I will then advise customer on possibilities of contamination being present and always being visible, or that due to the type of impact and the nature of the break, it could crack further, (and I explain that if this happens, I can repair the crack). But a waiver.. absolutely not. Call me old school.I take pride in my work, and don't hand out waivers for my failures as an excuse. Anyone who has been doing repairs for at lest 6 months, knows what can or can't be repaired. And knows what to suspect outcome may look like. In the past 6 years, I've had 2 repairs fail State Inspection, not because they were bad, but just because the mechanic was having a bad day. The customers were not unhappy with my work, in fact just the opposite. It was the garage they were unhappy with. As for replacing a customers windshield, I don't know. Would you tell the TV repair guy he had to replace your set because he did not repair it? Do you think he would? As professionals, I believe that we MUST educate the consumer on what can and can't be repaired. By doing this, you do not need a waiver. As stated earlier.. Accidents do happen, usually in our haste ie: too hot, too much injector pressure, drilled to deep and or tapped to hard. $H-t happens, but to not be able to repair your accident, maybe you should consider a carreer change. Thats my opinion. Not stepping on anyones toes on purpose. I just think a waiver is a pre(excuse my lack of knowledge & ability form).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Glassdoc,

Congratulations! It sounds like you have avoided all the @#$$#*%^ so far. Sometimes you are better off passing up on a job if the customer is one of those "complainer-types" if you know what I mean.
Anonymous

waivers

Post by Anonymous »

Pass up work.. No.. I didn't say that. I actually screen my customer's calls to ensure a repair is feasible. I ask the pertinent questions,IE: Location of the damage area?, How long ago did this occur?, Are you familar with the repair process?, Do you have Full Coverage Insurance?, etc. By pre-determining whether or not a repair can be done, it saves both my time and money. And believe it or not, 98% of every call I go on, I can repair. That is the benefit of prescreening. The other 2% I usually will set up for a replacement. Customers will generally fib about the damage to the windshield, especially if another shop has turned them down for a repair. Thats why I ask, 50 questions (per say). I do not charge a service "call" charge, unless I was blatantly lied too. Then its a $10 fee to cover travel/time costs. But back to the subject of the topic. One question I guess I should have ask. On this waiver note. Do you also waive any body damage, (dents, scratches) that may occur from your doing a repair. I actually look at vehicle first, if a dent or scratch is present I mention it to the owner in a non-insulting way. Ie: "Wow, what happened there?" (It lets the owner know prior to my ever touching the vehicle, the damage was already there).
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I agree with Glassdoc on his ideas. I do not have any type of waiver on my invoices.I have only had 2 crack and run with me in 3 years and both have been my fault of not cooling down the shield properly. On both I filled the crack and only charged for the stone repair and for both customers I was called back to do repairs again. As far as his question screening I will start this (I already do to a small extent) I have traveled to several jobs only to find the 4 inch crack is suddenly a 20 inch crack. These people have no idea how to measure or guestimate lenghth. If the customer would be honest it would help all parties involved. As far as body damage I do a quick look around and also point it out.
Anonymous

Re: re: oops

Post by Anonymous »

Jeff,
You nailed it right on the head. My waiver backs up my work; however, the customer is responsible for windshield replacement if the chip "cracks out" too much beyond repair!!

Some of you guys could use a beer or two to help relax.

Thanks for the responses.
Chris~
WiseCrackWR@hotmail.com
Anonymous

No correction needed.

Post by Anonymous »

Wisecrack,

I use a waiver also. It is to hold the customer to what the primary and secondary goals of WSR are. "Structural integrity and appearance". It is also to make them aware that their glass is already broken and if it should become unrepairable during the repair process I can not be held liable. I always discuss this with them. My position on this is that broken glass is very unstable to begin with and even if you dot your i's and cross your t's it could still become unrepairable. I have not lost one yet but you never no when it could happen. Knock on wood. It should not be your responsibility to replace and already broken windshield that would have failed inspection and required replacement anyway. A waiver is just good business policy. To each their own though.

My warranty is where I take full responsibility for the quality of my work. I offer a forever warranty on all my repairs even if the vehicle is sold to someone else it is still covered.

What ever you decide to do try to make it a win-win situation.

Pay it foward,

Brian
www.safeglasstechnologies.com

[email]"info@safeglasstechnologies.com"[/email][/email]