Insane Zoning Laws

This forum is dedicated to sales, marketing, insurance, and other business development issues. Since this is a Windshield Repair sub forum, please continue to use the other forums on this board to discuss non-windshield repair related issues of any nature.
scrubs147

Insane Zoning Laws

Post by scrubs147 »

OK, so I'm in the process of getting occupational licenses, business license and insurance here in Florida. One of my stops for this application process has me dropping by the zoning office. I explain in detail the undertaking of "MOBILE" windshield repair. They ask me where the location of my business is and I tell them that I will be running the "OFFICE ONLY" from my residence in which case they tell me that I am unable to perform any windshield repair or headlight restoration from my home. "I'm not going to", I say... "this is a mobile service in which case nothing is removed from the vehicles and the process takes just under an hour". They continue to tell me "NO", I cannot run this type of service out of my home.

This goes on for a few minutes (kind of like arguing with a drunk) and I finally ask what the reasoning is behind the "NO". They tell me that this type of service requires a person to keep specialty tools in his or her home that they normally would not have as a normal home owner. "great", I say. "Than you can clearly see that as a mobile unit who keeps an enclosed trailer with all the tools inside stored in a storage lot away from the home that this is not a problem. Still got a "NO" because they say that because I am using my residence as my business address than I am not allowed to run such a business and the only way I can perform such services than I need a shop set up in a place which allows for the proper zoning. This obviously takes away from the "MOBILE" concept and even though they contradicted themselves over and over again like any typical politician, I finally gave up on trying to get licensed for windshield repair and will be performing windshield repair and headlight restoration under a mobile detailing category.

What gets me is that the people who make up these rules have no idea how things are actually ran in the real world which makes things extremely difficult for the small business owner.
Flowrida

Re: Insane Zoning Laws

Post by Flowrida »

im glad i read this, this is really going to help me out when i set mine up. thanks!
Flowrida

Re: Insane Zoning Laws

Post by Flowrida »

whoa didn't realize how old this post was ill pm you