Metabo

Discuss all aspects of headlight restoration, including marketing, technical, and business advice.
Dr.Chipster
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Metabo

Post by Dr.Chipster »

What happened to the Metabo?
Brent Deines

Re: Metabo

Post by Brent Deines »

Too many warranty returns and the mfg refusing to back us up.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
just chippen away
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Post by just chippen away »

Brent Deines wrote:Too many warranty returns and the mfg refusing to back us up.

What was the flaw in the orbit sander? were they all the same, or differant issues?

A German made product gone bad? That is a shocker.
Just Chippen Away
t4k

Post by t4k »

Wow, I have had great service from my two Metabo's.
sunshine wr

Post by sunshine wr »

so what sander is used now?
t4k

Post by t4k »

sunshine wr wrote:so what sander is used now?

It looks like one sold by Griot's Garage.
Brent Deines

Post by Brent Deines »

That's correct. We started with Griot's but had too many warranty returns so we switched to Metabo but had the same problem. The difference is that Griot's has stood behind their tools and when the design flaw was identified they built a new tool that addressed the problems we were having. Metabo has yet to acknowledge that their tool has the same design flaw, let alone do anything about it. We continued selling the Metabo while we tested the new Griot's tool thoroughly for over a year. We are very pleased with the tool and with Griot's service. Whether you buy it from us or direct from Griot's we're convinced you won't find a better 3" electric random orbital sander at any price. The mfg warranty is also better!

I don't mean to bash the Metabo, it is a good tool that has served us well but now we've found something more durable that we like even better. That's the nice thing about not putting your name on a tool, when something better comes along there is nothing stopping you from upgrading.

http://www.deltakits.com/products/4/767/
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
just chippen away

Post by just chippen away »

Well, I am glad I have a back up Metabo. The teflon gear that runs the shaft was missing a few teeth. It looks like I will be ordering a new shaft for it... I do like the fact that it breaks down to were that is all that needs to be ordered.
It felt like a car with a slipping tray. It would run smooth then grind away then back to smooth operation.
Blow it out with the compressor on the shop and dismantled the case and easy enough, just the teflon gear on the vertical shaft that comes out.

That is the only moving piece that is teflon in the operation. Gear to gear, steel to teflon. Less vibration and forgiveness, If it is going to break down, it looks like it is desined to break there as to the whole thing breaking down and needing to replace the whole thing....
If it does not cost to much I will order two so I have a back up.
You just can not beat a German product to me...

Candyman, you going to fix your metabo / s?
Just Chippen Away
candyman

Post by candyman »

I plan to. I have the number to two places that does it. I just need the parts, if they are not too expensive. I got a new orange orbital last week. I will let you know what I find out from the distibutors.
candyman

Post by candyman »

For those of you in NC that need parts for your Metabo or repaired . Call 919 832 2802 or 919 833-4499 Raleigh area. Nylon gear or brushes etc...