Crack in internal plastic core repair?

Post your windshield repair tips, questions, advice! Note there is a sub-forum specifically for business development questions.
dubjay
Enter the middle number please (3): 3

Crack in internal plastic core repair?

Post by dubjay »

I ran into an interesting one today and would like to get your thoughts on how to proceed. I basically have a case here where the internal plastic core of the windshield has developed a crack, but the internal and exterior glass are both intact with no crack. The crack occurred after the rea rview mirror got ripped off. It took a clamshell of the internal glass with it, and somehow applied enough pressure to the internal plastic laminate to cause a crack that extends about 3 inches under good glass on both sides.

I'm not sure if I should just leave this one as is, try drilling it out from the exterior and injecting resin, or perhaps try something else? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.
ssbogger

Re: Crack in internal plastic core repair?

Post by ssbogger »

Picture may help to describe what you are talking about.

From what I can tell, the review mirror was forcefully removed which took a piece of the inside glass with it. I don't believe that the inner plastic layer can crack because it is quite pliable. It sounds to me like when the review mirror was forced off, it took out a chunk of glass and at the same time created a crack in the interior glass at this weakened area.
Brent Deines
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by Brent Deines »

Yep, sounds like a sub-surface crack in the glass even thought you cannot feel it. Not all that uncommon when a mirror is knocked off.
Brent Deines
Delta Kits, Inc.
dubjay

Post by dubjay »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback! Giving this another look, the sub-crack theory on the interior glass makes a whole lot more sense. I'm assuming my best bet at this point then would be to drill and fill from the interior then?
screenman
Enter the middle number please (3): 5

Post by screenman »

I would say that your best bet would be to walk away and not touch it.